Monday, June 7, 2010

#104 No Tattoos Allowed

Once upon a time, I was going to get a tattoo. I swear! Really! In all honesty, though, I never dreamed that I would say "tattoo" and "Bobbie" in the same sentence. However, this tattoo wasn't really for me. This tattoo was going to be a gift. I had decided to surprise my husband for his 40th birthday. Over the years, he has mentioned a few times [like maybe 100] that he finds a small tattoo at the base of a women's spine very sexy, and whenever he sees a female with one of these, he points it out, ergo the 100 times. Not knowing what to get for the man who needs nor wants for anything, I decided that a tattoo would be a great gift. Before I lost my nerve, I called the tattoo parlor and made an appointment. They let me know that they have books of tattoos, and that if I didn't know what I wanted, I should come in at least 45" early to look through them. No need -- I'd already decided. My tattoo was going to have three small hearts attached to each other - one for Marc, Logan and Erica.

The day before my "surgery", I got a phone call confirming my appointment. When I got off the phone, I noticed that my daughter [who was 8 years old at the time of this story] looking at me with a strange expression on her face. I swore her to secrecy, and told her about my surprise gift to daddy. Slowly, she began to shake her head left and right and told me that I was NOT getting a TATTOO! [large letters depict volume of her voice when speaking those words].

I interrupt this babble for a short history: At the time of this event, my daughter had been going to a Jewish day school for almost six years. Since our public school kindergarten was only a half day, and since I was working full time, and since a number of her friends from preschool were going to the Jewish day school full day program, we decided it was a win win to send her there for the year. Well, six years later, she was still there. Since neither Marc nor I are very religious, it was fascinating watching our little girl immersed in speaking Hebrew and hearing her talk about what she was learning. During one of her classes, Erica was taught that Jews do not deface their bodies. This meant that tattooing was a major no-no. She also shared that piercings aren't really allowed either, but since the holes close if left alone, it's not as bad as tattooing.

Back to my Babble: With one hand on her hip and the other pointing at me, Erica told me that when I die, I would not be allowed to be buried in a Jewish cemetery if I had a tattoo. I looked at her like she was crazy, but there she stood, with pointed finger and dagger eyes telling me that she would not allow me to get a tattoo. Humph. I called the tattoo parlor and explained to Rocko, the tattoo artist, that my 8 year old had just informed me that Jewish people can't have tattoos and be buried in a Jewish cemetery. Rocko asks incredulously, "you're an Orthodox Jew getting a tattoo?". I told him no, that I'm actually Reformative [not sure if this is a real word, but it's mine to describe how Marc and I were brought up - combination of Reformed and Conservative]. Rocko told me that my daughter was correct, but that many Jews have their tattoos lasered off after they die so that they can be buried in a Jewish cemetery. I relayed this information to my daughter. She, probably the only Reformative in a school of very conservative and some orthodox Jews, told me tough noogies, no way, uh uh... she "didn't care what that Rocko said". I told Rocko I was sorry and canceled my appointment.

So, want to know what I ended up getting Marc for his 40th birthday? I don't remember.

How do you feel about tattoos and piercings? Got any interesting or funny stories about your own experiences that you want to share?

Quote of the Day: "Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own" Chinese Proverb

7 comments:

Chris H said...

LOL at your darling daughter! I'm glad you listened to her... just for her sake!
I have a small tattoo on the back of my neck... can't be seen unless I want it to be seen. It was one of those "have to do it at least once" things in my life!

Anonymous said...

I'm indifferent to tattoos. I don't have any. I'm not sure what I would get. One of my favorite tattoos I've seen on a guy was Superman's "S" logo. But, it wasn't on the usual place guys get it (bicep or pec muscle). He had it centered between his shoulder blades. It was such a unique place that I loved it!

www.slcdesigns.co.uk said...

Know what we call tattoo's in the UK Bobbie?? Tramp Stamps!! (Laughing). Live and learn, live and learn!! Stephanie x

Jeanie said...

I have no religious convictions against tattoos, but they are just so permanent. What might look hot on a 30 year old would just look saggy on a 60 year old.

Lenore said...

I have been thinking of getting a tatoo for years and this may be the summmer I finally do it. When I mention this to some women in my somewhat conservative town, this is frowned upon. At this point in my life however, I could care less what they think, one good thing about geting old!! I also do not care about what it will look like when i am sixty , that is way to far in the future for me to worry about. guess i am a live in the now kind of person. As far as the religous reasons, I have no idea how the Catholic church feels about them and i do not plan on contacting them to find out! I will keep you posted if, when and where!! I already have it picked out and it stands for my two daughter's.

Anonymous said...

I've seen some ugly tattoos on people. Sure they might like them but that doesn't make them any less ugly or tacky. Nothing looks worse when a female tries to look pretty in a dress for a formal occasion and part of a tatoo is showing. It's about as classy as sidewalk chalk drawings in front of an expensive house.

Tattoo Cover-Up said...

I have 3 tattoos, I got most them all on a whim (dumb) and now at 35
I regret all but one. Thank goodness I'm able to easily cover them. Many companies still choose to not hire people with tattoos. Unfortunately I don't think people think about how tattoo placement can impact job prospects.